Packing & Moving Tips
When it comes to Packing Tips, we've got you covered.
CSS Guide to Packing:
- Start packing your items ahead of time. Don't wait until the last minute–you'll be surprised how long it takes! The more time you give yourself, the more organized you'll be!
- Begin with items that you are not currently using and can be packed right away (like skiing or snowboarding clothes and equipment, etc.).
- Make sure to set up your boxes correctly! Do not fold the corners over on the top or the bottom of the box, this weakens it. Fold the box along the seams.
- Make sure to tape your boxes securely using several pieces. Tape along the seams on the top and bottom, with the edges of tape extending 4–5 inches onto the sides of the box. If the box is extra heavy, add a few more pieces of tape across the bottom that go perpendicular to the seam and again extend onto the sides.
- If you ahave your own boxes or orginal boxes for items, use them.
- Use the right box. Use larger boxes for lighter, bulky items and smaller boxes for heavy items. DO NOT overpack your box with heavy items (books, glass, CD’s, etc.). The heavier a box is, the harder it is to lift and move them, and the more likely they are to break open!
- If you have plastic containers or bins, use them! Pack them full and tape them shut. Plastic containers and bins are very sturdy and are more effective than boxes at protecting your items.
- Tag and label any plastic containers and bins with your full name and confirmation number on the top and one side.
- If you are packing fragile items, please make sure to use plenty of packing material to cushion them. Bedding, towels, T-shirts, bubble wrap or newspaper can all work, but beware of printed newspaper; the ink can dirty your items and may stain clothing. We offer bubble wrap for sale and if you request it, we can deliver it ahead of time with your boxes and tape.
- If you need fragile items repacked for storage or shipping, YOU need to communicate this to us when we pick up your items so we can note it on your contract and repack them correctly on sight or at our warehouse. Failure to do this will result in denied damage claims. We are not mind readers.
- Make sure to label boxes with your full name and confirmation number on all 4 sides and the top! This way we can see your items when they are stacked on top of each other in our trucks or at the warehouse. With fragile or breakable items, write the word “Fragile” on all 4 sides and the top of the box as well so we will know not to stack other items on top.
- For items you will want right away in your new residence, mark them "Open First." It will serve as a great reminder for you, and we'll do our best to make sure they're accessible.
- You do not need to repack large items like bikes, skis, snowboards, small furniture, shelves, skateboards, etc. They are fine the way they are, just tag and label with your full name and confirmation number.
- If you have bed frames you can take apart ahead of time, please do. also make sure to label each piece.
- Empty all drawers of any furniture of heavy or small items. They can cause the item to break or they can fall out when moving it.
- Tape random items of the same size, like mops and brooms together, as they'll be easier to move, store and handle.
- Don’t pack your cleaning supplies or vacuum cleaners until everything else is packed up. You will want to do a final cleaning after all the items are moved out of your residence hall room, apartment or house.
- Please make sure to unplug and defrost refrigerators and icemakers several days ahead of time. Once they're off, prop the doors open so they don't start to smell.
- Make sure that YOU pack and transport valuables like cash, jewelry, collectibles, and family heirlooms. These items are expensive and very valuable to you and you should not trust anyone, including a moving company, to move them.
- Don't pack your passport up! Take it with you.
- Don't stress, were here to help when we come pick up your items, if you need us.
Additional Tips for Off-Campus Students:
- Keep lighter items in your dressers and drawers. As long as the furniture is sturdy and the items are not too heavy, extremely loose, or fragile, it is easier to move your items in the furniture. We will shrink wrap the drawers shut so they don’t flip open.
- We will bring mattress covers with us and can put them on your mattress for you. The cost is $10 each.
- If we are moving or storing a full apartment or house for you, label boxes and items by room. This way when we deliver your items, it will be easier for you and us to put them where they need to be.
- If more than one student is going in on a move or storage, mark boxed and items with the SAME confirmation number but use YOUR name. This way we can keep all your items together, then when we deliver them, everyone will know which items are whose.
- We do charge Assembly/Disassembly fees. Items that you need us to take apart or put back together (like IKEA furniture, large particle board desks, shelves, TV brackets etc.) will result in a charge of $35 for every 15 minutes spent.
- We reserve the right to not move any item. This usually happens when there is a risk of damaging the walls of the residence or the item itself if it's oversized or way too heavy (Examples would be couches, sleeper couches, large desk, safes etc.) and trying to move these items up small stair cases or through odd door ways.
- We'll supply you with as many boxes as you need. The boxes come in three different sizes to help organize your belongings.
- We'll also give you tape, poster tubes, labels and markers.
- We can move any item regardless of size or shape including skiis, bikes, flat screen tv, futons and more!
How It Works:
- Sign up online today and select our basic moving service.
- A week before your schedule pick up date we'll stop by to deliver your packing supplies.
- On the pick up day our professional movers will come to pick up all your items.
- We will deliver your belongings to your new dorm, apartment or house.
- We'll unload all of your items so you can focus on settling in.
Benefits of using CSS
Looking to save time and money this year? Relax, we've got it! College Student Storage offers door-to-door moving, storage and shipping solutions for all of your belongings. Whether you are storing your gear for the summer or an entire semester, we’ve got you covered. CSS is locally owned and operated and has been helping college students across Colorado move and store their belongings for over 20 years!
Why Choose Us:
- Locally Owned & Operated CSS has helped move, store and ship over 20,000 college students in the past 20 years.
- Packing Supplies We provide all your packing supplies like boxes, tape, poster tubes, labels markers and more!
- Only pay for what you store We customize our quotes so you only pay for the space you need.
- Pickup and Delivery Our professional movers will transport your belongings from your residence to our warehouse and back again.
- 24/7 Climate Controlled Warehouses Our warehouses have motion and camera alarm systems, security gates, and daily employees on premises throughout the year.
Easy as 1, 2, 3
Moving isn’t fun, but we’re here to help make it as painless as possible. Getting started is quick and easy just follow the steps below:
Sign up today!Enter your name, email and school into the signup form to get started. An email will be sent to you with further instructions.
Pack up your stuffWe’ll deliver boxes, tape, poster tubes, markers and labels to help get you started.
Relax, We’ve Got It!Check your email for schedule and delivery updates then kick back and let us do the rest.